Friday, April 18, 2014

Calamari a la Plancha



Typical Plancha- Very similar to the one I use at home
Typical Plancha- Very similar to the one I use at home.
Ever since my girlfriend presented me a plancha as a Christmas present, been experimenting a bit with cooking everything a la plancha.  Actually one of the healthiest ways to cook, fast too, that I have come across recently. If you don't have a 'Plancha', try doing it in a heavy non-stick flat pan. Results are fabulous.





 

While doing my weekend shopping I came across these fresh, heavenly cuttlefish at the local supermarket. So here I am at home with a lovely cleaned cuttlefish about 1 kg. Since tonight I am cooking for myself I guess about a 300 gm portion should be sufficient. Remaining is going to get frozen for the rest of the week. Maybe, if I can I will make a sea food soup from Egypt that my friend Gamal makes to perfection.






Ingredients (Serves 1):

  • Fresh Calamari- 300 gm, cut into strips
  • Garlic- 2 cloves, shredded
  • Olive oil- 1 tbsp
  • Salt- To taste
  • Lime- 1/2 juiced




Preparation ( Marination- 15 mins + Cooking time-10 mins):

Clean calamari strips and lightly dress with salt and a quarter of the lime juice. Set aside for 15 mins. 











Heat 'plancha' till any water put on it starts to sizzle. Spread oil on the plate. Add the shredded garlic. 


Once garlic starts becoming translucent, add calamari strips. 










Keep turning over till strips start becoming golden brown. So that the calamari remains tender and cooks evenly, keep basting with lime juice and the oil as you turn over. Don't overcook else you end up with a rubbery unappetizing mess. Lightly sprinkle a little salt and drizzle with remaining lime juice. You will know that the calamari is done when it starts turning golden brown and the garlic has turned a deep-fried  brown.


Serve hot with a fresh salad as accompaniment.

Tips:

  • Serve with a chilled white to  bring out the flavour.
  • If you want, you could add a sprinkling of dried parsley to tone down the strong flavour near the end of the grilling.

No comments: